Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

1/3/13

F**k the Mayan calendar

-

I celebrated New Year's in Berlin.
In 2012 it was Istanbul. In 2011, Puerto Vallarta (I think). Started off the evening with jazz at the legendary jazz & blues bar in Kreuzberg, Yorckschloesschen. The place got crowded pretty quickly and the musicians - old dudes - put on a roaring good show. Every table was littered with party favors, including the German take on good luck charms: toy pigs and four-leaf clovers. I pinned one of the little ceramic piggies to my tuxedo!
here I am in 2013!!
Afterwards I set off for the big fireworks show at Branderburg Gate...but, not caring to relinquish my personal liquor bottles at the free entrance, I contented myself to walk around the city center and take in the spectacle of other celebrants. Lots of folks were cheering and toasting and setting off fireworks. Thankfully, the night was far from cold, too. Some guys were selling bottles of sekt (sparkling wine that's not from Champagne, France) to fund their buddy's New Year's honeymoon...so instead of giving money to strippers they were trying to earn a little. Ha! What the heck, I thought, and bought a bottle. Round midnight I was at Potsdamer Platz and, whoa, were there plenty of fireworks. Brandenburg Gate makes for a great backdrop but I all I cared about was seeing a long display of fireworks -- and lighting my Cohiba Cuban cigar...and toasting the new year with sekt...and Johnnie Walker whiskey...and well-wishing text msgs.


There were a few jerks who threw fireworks in places they should not have but, on the whole, everyone was in it for a good and safe celebration. And nearly everyone took a shine to my fedora and bow tie. I wanted to go dancing but, as it turned out, the rest of the night was spent having sex. And who wants to stand in line to get into a club where you can't move when he can more easily screw until the Sun comes up (and goes back down again)? Oh I do love my life.

And here I am in 2013!! Take that Mayan calendar! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive